[Marxism] Fwd: A closer look at Jabhat al-Nusra | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Oct 5 16:01:01 MDT 2015

On September 27th I tweeted this in response someone else’s 140
character revelation that American-trained “moderate” rebels had traded
weapons to al-Nusra in exchange for safe passage into Syria: “Good. I
hope they use it to blast the Syrian military to hell.”

As some of you may know, I have little use for Twitter except as a place
to forward links to my blog. It is simply impossible to express complex
ideas in 140 characters. My tweet was nothing much more than a wisecrack
but some like Jacobin’s David Mizner interpreted it as me “celebrating
the delivery of US arms to Al Qaeda.”

For Mizner, Patrick Higgins, Adam Johnson, Robert Fisk, Patrick Cockburn
and David Bromwich, there is a prima facie basis for lumping all those
who fight against Assad as “jihadist”. Since the FSA has collaborated
with al-Nusra against the Baathist military, this is proof positive that
it is an accessory after the fact. Of course, you will find no
acknowledgement in all of their writings that the FSA and al-Nusra have
done more to combat ISIS until the more recent period. In a May 2015
al-Monitor article, the conflict between Nusra and ISIS was clearly
established:

	Several areas of West Qalamoun have been witnessing since two days, a
fierce wave of raids conducted by Jabhat al-Nusra against IS strongholds
and checkpoints, and clashes erupted between both groups.

	As a result of the campaign, dozens of IS members, including leaders
and emirs, were arrested. On the first day, about 47 members were
detained, according to sources.

For many in the Baathist amen corner, there is an incentive to put Nusra
in the foreground since any identification with al-Qaeda is bound to
summon up images of 911, bin-Laden, shoe bombers, Sharia law, forced
wearing of the hijab, bans on smoking and drinking—in other words all
the things that get the vigilant attention of Richard Dawkins, Bill
Maher, and Christopher Hitchens when he was alive.

full: http://louisproyect.org/2015/10/05/a-closer-look-at-jabhat-al-nusra/