[Marxism] Talk by Michael Tigar on 4th Amendment to the US Constitution

Michael Yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Wed Oct 7 16:11:51 MDT 2015

Michael Tigar is a renowned radical lawyer. In this talk, he discusses the still-remaining power of the 4th Amendment, which greatly limits the power of the government to engage in search and seizure. People in the US seem particularly unconcerned about the government's assault on the right to privacy this amendment protects. For example, Tigar tells us:

"John Oliver sent reporters into Times Square a few months ago, and almost nobody remembered Edward Snowden and his path-breaking revelations.  And for the most part, nobody cared much about all this snooping.  Well, that is until the reporter pointed out that if for some reason you had sent somebody a picture of your genitals, the NSA could and would store that picture.  That provoked outrage.  "What!  They would have a picture of my dick?  That's an outrage."  Which says more about the male psyche than we have time to discuss this evening.

I know.  I know.  We voted for people who promised to take us out of the Bush era.  And had we listened we would know.  They did what they promised: The NSA -- at last we have a government agency that really listens to you.

Candidate Obama promised that whistleblowers should not be subject to reprisals.  Tell Ed Snowden and Julian Assange.  Reminds me a little of Bill Clinton.  Barack Obama once taught constitutional law.  But apparently he didn't inhale."

http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2015/tigar021015.html