[Marxism] Call to international Community from HDP

Ian J. Seda-Irizarry isedairi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 11:31:44 MDT 2015

*Call to the international community*

On October 10th, a Peace Rally that brought together many civil society
organizations, revolutionary unions, and progressive and democratic
parties, among them HDP, was the target of a horrendous attack.
Unfortunately, at least 128 of our fellow citizens were murdered in this
attack, and hundreds wounded. We are concerned that the death toll may
rise, as 48 among the wounded are in critical condition. This attack will
go down as one of the bloodiest in the history of our republic.

There are clear links between the attacks on our party’s rally in Amed on
the 5th of June in 2015, in which five of our citizens died and more than
200 were injured, and the suicide bombing in Suruc on the 20th of July 2015
in which 34 of our citizens were killed during a press conference by youth
from across Turkey in support of Kobane, as well as the suicide bombing on
yesterday’s Peace Rally in Ankara. To date, none of the politicians in
power has been held accountable regarding the previous two attacks. From
the political rhetoric of Prime Minister Davutoglu and the ministers he
appointed, as well as that of President Erdogan, we see no political
accountability with regards to this bloodiest attack in the history of
republic. On the contrary, their public statements show a readiness to
blame the victims of this attack and our party. Such a political tendency
also shows that those responsible for this massacre will also be not
brought to justice, and that even the investigation may be hidden from
public scrutiny. The Prime Minister’s Office has already censored media
coverage of the Ankara Massacre, suggesting that the government will be
protecting not only the agents of this attack, but also those in political
and administrative positions who paved the way for it.

Regarding this chain of massacres, we have a number of expectations and
clear demands from the international community and from political leaders.
In making this call, we wish to underscore that the Ankara massacre and the
aforementioned previous attacks are international in scope, and to make
clear that we see the potential for such events to open the way to regional
insecurity.AKP’s policy of relying on radical groups as proxies, which
began with President Erdogan’s support of, and even channeling through the
intelligence organization MIT, the activities of such groups as ISIS,
Al-Nusra, andAhrar Al-Sham—used particularly against Kurds in Rojava—is at
the heart of today’s tragedy.

President Erdogan aims at the realization of a “Turkey-type presidential
regime” which will render him as the sole political authority in Turkey. In
order to achieve this, Mr. Erdogan needs his party AKP to secure the
majority of the seats in the parliament to form a single-party government.
Pushing HDP under the electoral threshold (10%) stands out as a
straightforward tactic for AKP for this very reason. In order to achieve
this, AKP adopted “escalation of violence” as a strategic approach. In a
context where the ceasefire ended, the attacks against the PKK have
intensified. As the clashes escalated, the death toll of the soldiers were
made a basis for creating a systematic wave of lynchings. AKP led fascist
pogroms targeted HDP buildings as well as Kurdish groups living in the
Western parts of the country on one hand. On the other, Kurdish cities have
been kept under military blockade and curfew. Only in Cizre, 21 civilians
were massacred by the Turkish Armed Forces as well as the police. At a time
when the extreme nationalist and polarizing policies are implemented in
Turkey, the safety of the general elections (November 2015) is a vexing
question to be considered in a serious manner. Our electorates feel under
constant threat in every social space and political activity they attend.
In order to maintain stability in the region, it is crucial to prevent the
devastating effects of the conflict from spreading over a wider geography.
For this very reason, it is extremely important for the international
community to take a firmer stance against President Erdogan and the AKP
government that have already lost legitimacy in the eyes of the public in
Turkey. Hereby, we encourage international community who stand in
solidarity, to extend their condolences directly to the peoples of Turkey--
not to the state representatives who are politically and administratively
responsible from the massacre.

*Selahattin Demirtaş & Figen Yüksekdağ**Peoples’ Democratic Party co-Chairs*

*October 12, 2015*