[Marxism] Fwd: We’ve never had it so good! | Michael Roberts Blog

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Oct 13 07:08:11 MDT 2015

The Nobel prize for economics this year went to Scottish Princeton
University professor, Angus Deaton.  Of course, this is not really a
Nobel prize as it is an invention by the Swedish central bank, the
Riksbank, and has become a ‘Nobel’ prize. But leaving aside the
controversy over whether it should be called a Nobel prize and whether
all these mainstream neoclassical economists should keep winning it,
what does Angus Deaton have to offer?

He is an expert on world poverty, the consumption patterns of households
and how to measure them.  The media coverage of Deaton’s work is keen to
emphasise that he shows that humankind have never had it so good in 2015
under the capitalist mode of production. As one commentator put it:
“Deaton’s central message is deeply positive, almost gloriously so. By
the most meaningful measures — how long we live, how healthy and happy
we are, how much we know — life has never been better. Just as
important, it is continuing to improve.”

full:
https://thenextrecession.wordpress.com/2015/10/13/weve-never-had-it-so-good/