[Marxism] Fwd: Review of Paul B. Wignall, "The Worst of Times: How Life on Earth Survived Eighty Million Years of Extinction" | Inside Higher Ed

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Oct 14 07:37:57 MDT 2015

Reading Paul B. Wignall’s The Worst of Times: How Life on Earth Survived
Eighty Million Years of Extinction, from Princeton University Press, can
induce something of that perturbed feeling. It did in me, anyway, as I
tried every so often to picture a timeline of the catastrophic events
that Wignall and his colleagues have reconstructed. (The author is a
professor of paleoenvironments at the University of Leeds.)

The geologically unsophisticated layperson will probably anticipate new
ideas or evidence about what killed the dinosaurs. But that’s an index
of how limited an impact Lyell has had. We still imagine change on too
constricted a scale. The rise and fall of Jurassic wildlife are, for
Wignall, something like last week’s news might seem to an ancient
historian: interesting enough, sure, but the author would really prefer
to stay focused on the past and not get sidetracked chattering about
recent trends.

full:
https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2015/10/14/review-paul-b-wignall-worst-times-how-life-earth-survived-eighty-million-years