[Marxism] Where are the anti-war protesters now?

Clay Claiborne clayclai at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 11:14:15 MDT 2015

/Republished on Linux Beach:/

      Where are the anti-war protesters now?
      <http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2015/10/where-are-anti-war-protesters-now.html>

> Russia’s recent military intervention in Syria doesn’t seem to
> have provoked the same reaction worldwide as the one the US faced
> <http://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2013/aug/31/syria-us-air-strikes-protests-in-pictures>
> against Assad in retaliation to the chemical gas attacks in Syria in
> August 2013. While the demonstration against the US airstrikes brought
> together the left and the right in major world cities, Russia’s
> intervention hasn’t prompted a strong reaction even from those who
> are considered ‘friends of Syria.’ This is not the first time that
> the reactions of anti-war coalitions and peace movements differ on the
> Syrian conflict, based on the actors calling for them. Iranian support
> to the Assad regime, for instance, with armed militias, weaponry,
> money, military experts, etc., has also gone unnoticed.
>
> This selective approach by anti-war movements to foreign military
> interventions raises many questions about what they consider a war to
> be. Should we consider all military interventions bad? Does the
> actor’s identity matter more than the action itself? Can we be
> selective about acting upon our principles? When is it acceptable to
> favor someone’s interests over the miseries of others?
*More...*
<http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2015/10/where-are-anti-war-protesters-now.html>
Also, the list of signers to our statement of opposition to Russian, and
all military attacks on Syria, is growing by the hour. Will you join with:

*Bill Fletcher, Jr*. (Writer/Activist, Former President, TransAfrica Forum)
*Yassin al Haj Saleh* (Syrian Writer Living in Exile, Istanbul)
*Hussam Ayloush* (National Chair, Syrian American Council)
*Juan Cole* (Professor of History, University of Michigan & Blogger,
Informed Comment, USA)
*Robin 'Roblimo' Miler* (IT/Science Reporter and Editor)
*Louis Proyect* (Writer, CounterPunch film co-editor, New York City)
*Robin Yassin-Kassab* (Writer, Scotland)
*Rt. Hon Sir Gerald Kaufman, MP* (longest serving MP in the House of
Commons, UK)
*Muhammad Idrees Ahmad* (University of Stirling, Scotland)
*Danny Postel* (Center for Middle East Studies, University of Denver)
*Thomas Pierret* (Lecturer, University of Edinburgh, Scotland)
myself and over a hundred others in saying:

      "Hands Off Syria" Applies to Russia Too
      <http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2015/10/please-join-us-by-signing-this.html>