[Marxism] Time to recall that the enemy is at home

A.R. G amithrgupta at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 13:16:48 MDT 2015

On a separate note, I want to address some of the sentiments being posted
by the others.

As this is an internet list-serv, let's consider that many of us are, in
fact, from different countries, and if this is to be a truly
internationalist list, it may include people from more in the future,
albeit slightly restricted by language.

We might also consider that the same national chauvinism that Luko
emphasizes might get many to support their own regimes, the same level of
chauvinism is implicated in actively ignoring the subjugation of other
peoples or of developing an excessively crude or exaggerated picture of our
own regimes -- and having a distorted picture of Libya and Syria is part of
this. The reality is that the US government has a long history of
supporting many of the same regimes it has toppled and a more realistic
picture of US imperialism would account for this. Prior to Qaddafi's
overthrow, the Obama administration had dramatically increased the level of
military support it had provided to Mr. Qaddafi, and prior to that the Bush
Administration had also further normalized relations with Libya pursuant to
his willingness to "assist" in the "war on terrorism". The US began
supporting the opposition and the European campaign of intervention in the
breach of the Arab Spring, which was not initiated by them.

Likewise, the US has been striking deals with the Baathists in Syria for
decades. The US allowed Syria to set the terms of the 1990 Taif Accords in
Lebanon in exchange for its acquiescence during the First Gulf War. The US
has also worked very closely with Syria against suspected Al Qaeda agents
(AKA random people in the wrong place at the wrong time) both before and
after 9/11. Google "Maher Arar".

Like with Qaddafi and Hussein, that does not mean there is never a
circumstance in which the US would push for regime overthrow -- the same
neocons who pushed for the Iraq invasion wanted exactly that. But there was
overwhelming opposition in other sectors of the US government that
correctly pointed out that doing so would be suicidal. At this point it
appears quite clear what the US position is regarding Mr. Assad: reluctant
support.

So even an exaggerated-but-understandable focus on US imperialism would
mean opposing the Assad regime, or at the very least opposing US strikes on
his opposition.

A truly internationalist position, however, would involve asking what the
progressive elements in Syria want and seeing what we can do to support
them from our respective countries. I honestly see very few people even
attempting.

- Amith