[Marxism] Fwd: The Capitalocene | Public Seminar

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Oct 15 17:36:48 MDT 2015

This civilization is already over, and everyone knows it. We’re in a
sort of terminal spiral of thanaticism. The paths to another form of
life seem blocked, so it seems there’s nothing for it but to double down
and bet all the chips on the house that kills us. But there might be
something to be said for an attentiveness to how all this came to pass.
When the wheels stop spinning we may want to know how and why we lost it
all.

Jason W. Moore’s Capitalism in the Web of Life: Ecology and the
Accumulation of Capital (Verso 2015) is an important book, in that it
brings together the immense resources of world systems theory, critical
geography and a certain strain of ‘green’ Marxism. Even though it
refuses such terms, it does signal work in thinking through what the
Marxist strand of historical sociology needs to be in the Anthropocene.

full: http://www.publicseminar.org/2015/10/the-capitalocene/