[Marxism] Fwd: Hannibal: Television in the Spirit of Buñuel

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Oct 16 07:15:14 MDT 2015

As a rule of thumb, network television is the bottom feeder in popular
culture while the novel, a medium we associate with classics such as
“Don Quixote” and “Moby Dick”, dwells in the heavens. In a striking
reversal, NBC television has aired a series called “Hannibal” that while
based on the novels of Thomas Harris is far more complex and inspired
than the source. As each episode begins, we see the words “Based on the
characters of the book ‘Red Dragon’ by Thomas Harris”. Having just read
“Red Dragon” to help me prepare this review, I would say the
relationship between the source and its offspring is close to the one
that exists between a banal tune like “Tea for Two” and how Thelonious
Monk interpreted it.

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/10/16/hannibal-television-in-the-spirit-of-bunuel/