[Marxism] Fwd: Patrick L. Smith: the latest inductee into the Baathist hall of shame | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Oct 17 12:56:44 MDT 2015

In 2014 I submitted an article titled “Treason of the Intellectuals” to
Critical Muslim, a journal co-edited by Robin Yassin-Kassab and Ziauddin
Sardar. It was rejected because of Britain’s strict libel laws. You can
read it here, however:
http://louisproyect.org/2014/06/04/i-run-afoul-of-stringent-british-libel-laws/.
It examined how a number of high-profile scholars and journalists
including David Bromwich and Seymour Hersh have lent themselves to the
Baathist cause. After reading Patrick L. Smith’s article in Salon.com
titled “Putin might be right on Syria: The actual strategy behind his
Middle East push — and why the New York Times keeps obscuring it”, I
decided that an addendum was necessary. Smith is both a veteran
journalist and a scholar, having written for the International Herald
Tribune and served as a lecturer at the University of Hong Kong. Yale
University published his latest book “Time No Longer: After the American
Century” so the fellow is no slouch.

I have learned, however, that such recognition is no guarantee against
being a bullshit artist. In an interview given to Smith on Salon.com,
Perry Anderson—one of the most celebrated Marxist authors of the past
half-century—told Smith that “Stalin remained a communist who firmly
believed that the ultimate mission of the world’s working class was to
overthrow capitalism, everywhere.” I guess in his dotage Anderson has
forgotten everything he ever wrote about Trotsky. No wonder Smith, who
is a Putinite sufficient enough to embarrass Mike Whitney, would find
Anderson’s “Marxism” to his tastes.

In another Salon.com interview that has the same character as Charlie
Rose interviewing Bill Gates or Stephen Spielberg, Smith sat down with
Stephen F. Cohen. You can imagine the tough questions he posed to the
professor emeritus whose decline has been as steep as Anderson’s.

full:
http://louisproyect.org/2015/10/17/patrick-l-smith-the-latest-inductee-into-the-baathist-hall-of-shame/