[Marxism] NUMSA backs students; good analysis, good demands

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Thu Oct 22 12:08:17 MDT 2015

I had such a wonderful time with Andy and the comrades at The Commons on
Monday night (our book launch video is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnRSjXmE9a4 )

I flew back to South Africa and I must say, it was fantastic arriving
here yesterday to the next stage of the revolution, which for the first
time unites kids on a national not local basis, and also links struggles
for decent wages for outsourced university workers to the demand for
zero increase in fees in the short term, and then free education.

Here's a quick riff I did on Friday but it was only published slightly
before the huge protest at the Finance Minister's awful budget speech
yesterday:
https://theconversation.com/only-pressure-on-south-africas-elites-can-ease-university-fee-stress-49376

Tomorrow we're hoping NUMSA will help the students march to Union
Buildings. The ruling party's hq was marched in Johannesburg today. The
momentum continues growing, with nearly every city's young adults up in
arms about the rising cost of education and lack of improvements in what
we academics can provide them given shortfalls all over these institutions.

Cheers,
Patrick