[Marxism] Fwd: The Pearl Button; Bering: Balance and Resistance | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Oct 24 12:17:55 MDT 2015

Opening yesterday at the IFC Center in New York, Patricio Guzman’s “The
Pearl Button” is my pick for best documentary of 2015 and very possibly
the best I have seen in the past decade. Guzman, a Chilean born in 1941,
is best known for his documentaries about the Allende period, including
“The Battle of Chile” that I saw forty years ago when it came out and
the 2004 “Salvador Allende” that I reviewed eight years ago. Since my
view of the director’s work was informed by these newsreel-like films, I
was not nearly prepared for the astonishing experience of a work of art
that combined politics and art that can be likened to Eduardo Galeano at
his best. Narrated by Guzman, “The Pearl Button” is a meditation on the
ontological mystery of water, the extinction of the Patagonian Indians
who had a unique connection to the ocean, and the persecution of
Allende’s supporters whose corpses were often dropped by helicopter into
the very waters of the Pacific Ocean that the indigenous peoples
regarded as essential to their being.

full:
http://louisproyect.org/2015/10/24/the-pearl-button-bering-balance-and-resistance/