[Marxism] From a Swedish comrade

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Oct 31 13:56:05 MDT 2015

Dear Louis,

Loved your series about Sweden. In an odd way, I don’t think I’m more
familiar with the true history of Sweden than you are.

---

Henning Mankell had a very good eye for the absurdity that is modern
life in Sweden nowadays: Brand Sweden.

Henning was invited to the “Nobel prize of music”, the Polar Music
Prize. He observed how the front row featured the Royal family and other
aristocratic elements, the second row the oligarchs (Wallenberg), and
then the bourgeoisie and well-to-do middle class. All of the them
celebrating the efforts of the working class. The epitome of Swedish
class-peace and the core of brand Sweden. Henning Mankell noticed how
both the royal family as well as the major capitalist of Sweden sang
along with Patti Smiths’ “Power to the people”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa3xOakbGTo (watch the kings reaction at
the end when Paul Simon stands up.)

Brand Sweden is facing a major obstacle today: rampant racism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-9srDRQ44s&feature=youtu.be

---

I think you talked about Raul Wallenberg and the main reason he’s been
lifted to the sky in official history — besides being of the Wallenberg
family -- is probably due to Folke Bernadotte.

When crown princess Viktoria and (“regular working-class Joe") Daniel
named their newborn daughter Estelle, Viktoria’s private tutor and well
known historian Herman Lindqvist strongly critizized the chosen name.
“Sounds like a nightclub singer”
https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/estelle/article14425349.ab It felt
strange that a conservative royalist would put forward such strong
remarks, but Lindqvist is well aware of how Folke Bernadotte was
murdered and that his wife was the rich Estelle (Manville of
Pleasantville, New York).

Basically, the Royal family made a clear political point in honouring
the only real hero of the Bernadotte family (most Swedes, for good
reasons, consider the dyslexic Royal family of today to be morons).
Their frustration of not being able to talk about the murder of their
family hero resulted in a protest. If a boy would have been born he’d
most certainly be named Folke.

Herman Lindqvist knows what you should talk about and what not to talk
about. He’s pissed off that the student hasn’t learned her lesson.

(The Royal family has yet to make an official trip to Israel and nothing
of this is known by roughly 90% of the Swedish population.)

---

Finally, a good copy of Joe Hill by Bo Widerberg is out. 45 years later.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0t8u1dlt21dbs9/Joe%20Hill.mp4?dl=0

The most interesting isn’t the movie I now realise, it’s the amazing
story behind the movie. The dvd box costs 700 SEK which just seems to be
another way to keep the movie away from the public. I bought it almost
entirely for Joe Hill. The best part wasn’t seeing the romantic shimmer
of Widerberg/Persson/Berggren once again, it was the commentary track.
Holy moly, I had no idea that the making of the movie was so incredibly
mesmerising. For example: when they shot in little Italy in NYC one day
someone stole all camera equipment. Widerberg complained to the local
mobster that all they wanted to do is to “make a movie about a beautiful
Italian girl that fell in love with a Swede.” (i.e. he lied) Next day
they had all their camera equipment returned to them courtesy of
Johnny(?) Rizzo.

//Johan