[Marxism] JOINT STATEMENT Final declaration on the results of the Syria Talks in Vienna as agreed by participants

Brian Slocock tettodoro at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 31 12:34:02 MDT 2015

This statement has now been published by the European Union, so the text is
confirmed. Obviously its full of very dangerous traps IF it were to move
towards implementation. But there are so many gaps and unspecified
variables that that is very far from certain. My guess is that this will
fall apart and become yet another in the long line of failed Syrian peace
schemes. The crucial question will be - *who *will be seen as responsibile
for its collapse.Etilaf did a good job of pinning the responsibility for
the failure of Geneva II on the regime (although they didn't get much
credit for it) But this is a much messier situation, and the Syrian
opposition forces (despite all the talk about "Syrians must decide" ) are
being sidelined. If it comes down to a battle of diplomatic manouevres
between the Obama administration and the Putin team, I wouldn't be betting
on the former. Things I would watch out for here: 1. Russia pushing its
line of wanting to redefine the opposition to include both the tame
"licensed opposition" ( particularly their man Qadri Jamil), and the fuzzy
oppositionists of the National Coordinating Body. Important thing here will
be which way the Kurds jump  - Salih Muslim of the PYD may well be prepared
to play ball, but the YPG may have other plans. 2. How (if at all) the next
steps get fleshed out - there is talk of a "ceasefire" but no indication of
what might be given to help secure that (e.g. release of detainees). No
point getting too caught up in this speculationas the thing may be dead in
the water before any of these things get on the agenda.