[Marxism] Jacobin editor urges voting for Clinton in swing states

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Apr 3 18:29:06 MDT 2016

Bhaskar Sunkara on KPFK's Beneath the Surface with Suzi Weissman (4/1/16):

"I think there's a tough decision that people are going to have to make
with the Clinton campaign, particularly if she's going up against
someone as reactionary as Donald Trump and the social forces that he
represents. I think there will be two dominant positions at first: one
will be an unfortunate "Progressives for Hillary" (tendency . . .
arguing) that we all need to unite around Hillary Clinton to beat the
far right which will neutralize a lot of what was unique about the
Sanders campaign, the unique message and the battle against the
democratic establishment.

"On the other hand, I think there's going to be a move to just dismiss
people's fears about Donald Trump and to encourage them to go down the
avenue of just voting their hearts, even in swing states, and not
considering the option of going with Hillary Clinton. I think our
position should be not to rally behind Hillary Clinton but also not to
tell people that no matter where they should under no
circumstances-Virginia, Ohio, Florida-consider voting for her tactically.

"We should have that middle ground where we are not aloof from the
concerns of people but that we're also aware of dissolving the energy
and message of the Sanders campaign into the Clinton campaign."