[Marxism] Stanford SJP shuts down Palestinian refugee event, falsely blames it on Alison Weir

A.R. G amithrgupta at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 15:23:40 MDT 2016

Hi,

Basically, the organizers objected to Alison, her books, and her (generic)
materials on refugee stuff at the talk. They demanded the books be removed,
so they were. They falsely claimed they wanted Alison gone too, but she was
never asked to leave so she didn't. The issue was between them and one of
the speakers. The speaker agreed with Alison Weir and her materials that
Israel's legitimacy was in question.

Jeff may not realize it, but some SJPs are not anti-Zionist. Stanford SJP,
for example, reaffirmed the right of Israelis to self-determination and
tried to distance itself from the BDS movement in their divestment
resolution. They also wrote the resolution as though the conflict started
in 1967. I suspect the students were afraid that if they hosted a
Palestinian refugee that took stronger positions, it would undermine the
BDS ceiling that they had set for themselves. Jeff is correct that they
have never publicly stated their position on whether or not Israel has the
right to exist; the issue was that they organized and then cancelled the
right of Amena to do exactly that.

In any case, Amena apparently cancelled the talk because they asked her not
to voice her stronger views. The only reason Alison was at issue is because
it was Alison and/or her materials that brought the issue up at all. When
Amena said she agreed with Alison on the matter, which has nothing to do
with anti-Semitism, the talk was cancelled. They are trying to pin it on
Alison because screaming anti-Semitism loudly is more attractive than
admitting you just silenced a Palestinian refugee from Lebanon because she
does not see the regime that dispossessed her as legitimate. I'm going to
try to reach out to Amena today and get a statement from her, if Jeff and
others don't want to believe that then we're at an impasse.

- Amith