[Marxism] Fwd: The Left's Failure on Syria | New Politics

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Apr 13 14:16:41 MDT 2016

On February 27th of this year, an article by scholar and journalist
Idrees Ahmad titled “Aleppo is our Guernica — and some are cheering on
the Luftwaffe,” a timely analogy with the Spanish Civil War. Continuing
with that analogy, we can say that we now have the counterpart of George
Orwell’s Homage to Catalonia in Robin Yassin-Kassab and Leila Al-Shami’s
Burning Country, a work that gives a voice to the Syrian revolutionaries
who are the political and moral descendants of the brigades that took up
arms against Franco in the name of democracy and social justice.
Unfortunately, the type of solidarity that the left offered to Spain’s
freedom fighters 80 years ago is sorely missing today, a result of much
of the left seeing revolutionary Syrians as jihadist stereotypes
refracted through an Orientalist lens rather than as flesh-and-blood
human beings.

full: http://newpol.org/content/lefts-failure-syria