[Marxism] Fwd: Al-Qaeda affiliate faces unusual backlash from fed-up Syrians - The Washington Post

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Apr 16 05:32:58 MDT 2016

Residents accuse the group of applying increasingly rigid
interpretations of Islam, such as strict gender segregation in public
places, executions of adulterers and seizures of the property of
non-Muslims.

Last summer, the militants reportedly shot dead more than a dozen
members of Syria’s Druze religious minority. That incident drew rebukes
even from other Islamist rebel fighters allied with the group.

“We’re all feeling like we’re suffocating now because of Nusra, which is
acting like ISIS,” said a prominent activist based in Idlib, speaking on
the condition of anonymity because of security concerns. ISIS is another
name for the Islamic State.

full:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/al-qaeda-affiliate-faces-unusual-backlash-from-fed-up-syrians/2016/04/13/4dac1c6a-fab6-11e5-813a-90ab563f0dde_story.html