[Marxism] Roland Boer, St. Augustine and Uncle Joe

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Apr 18 17:55:43 MDT 2016

This is an excerpt from Roland Boer's article "A Materialist Doctrine of
Good and Evil: Stalin's Revision of Marxist Anthropology". I can only
conclude that when the Isaac Deutscher Prize jury awarded him the annual
prize in 2014, they were suffering a collective psychotic break. I say
this as someone who studied St. Augustine as a religion major a lifetime
ago. For me, the rewards of theology are vanishingly thin. How this guy
could have conned a jury into giving him good money (although not very
much obviously) for this kind of mumbo-jumbo will be one of our epoch's
enduring mysteries, more difficult to fathom in some way than the hero
worship so much of the left is bestowing upon Vladimir Putin.

-----

It may initially seem strange to mention the Latin debate between
Augustine and Pelagius, for Stalin was raised within and studied at some
length (1895-1899) the Russian Orthodox tradition. However, it will
become apparent as my argument unfolds that he develops a unique
counter-tradition that cannot be explained by mere dependence. He begins
with a position that follows what may be called a dominant Pelagian
Marxist approach to the transformation of human nature, albeit mediated
through an Orthodox framework. This is the focus of the first section
below. Later, he comes to the stark awareness of the persistence and
reality of evil, which I argue is an Augustinian irruption into both the
Marxist tradition and the Orthodox mediation of the extremes of the
Latin theological tradition. The result is a distinctly new departure.
He draws together Augustinian and Pelagian approaches, which was
characteristic of the Orthodox position outlined above. But unlike that
position with its synergeia, he exacerbates the tension between them in
a dialectical intensification. In other words, his position was enabled
by the Orthodox mediation, but the stark opposition could happen only by
appropriating the Latin opposition, marked by the names of Augustine and
Pelagius.

http://crisiscritique.org/ccmarch/boer.pdf