[Marxism] Many Middle-Class Americans Are Living Paycheck to Paycheck - The Atlantic

MM marxmail00 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 19:33:38 MDT 2016

> On Apr 19, 2016, at 7:35 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> Interesting article on the financial straits of well-known author Neal Gabler.

It’s astonishing how meticulously he avoids any observation or suggestion that might risk politicizing the issue. Wages have “stagnated” - as opposed to being brutally held down over decades - and we have nobody but ourselves to blame for not anticipating that sometimes life hands you... stagnation. It’s all just so terribly sad - but also strangely, compellingly poignant, in the hands of a "passably good” writer.

I don’t know Gabler from Adam, but from this piece I’d say he’s a consummate artisan of the hegemonic discourse of the ruling oligopoly - but one who evidently doesn’t even have the mercenary instinct to get paid well for the service he performs for them. Nor, apparently, does he have the guts to muster even a hint of outrage at the abominable, anti-human state of things they’ve led us all into creating.

"So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” - Revelation 3:16, KJV