[Marxism] A comment on my blog from a Sanders delegate who has an extensive Marxist background

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Apr 20 05:38:34 MDT 2016

For many who came up through the democrats and then became part of the
anti capitalist movement it’s a different story. Knowing the democrats
as I do, it’s only a matter of using the democrats for as long as we can
to teach, and no more. For now, the sanders campaign offers a chance to
stymie the most powerful crew of corporatists on the national stage, the
Clinton machine. Once that’s over with it’s over, unless Billory manages
to create,a split in the party with their periodic stupid outbursts on
why the presidency belongs to their bloody claws. There are many within
the sanders ranks who are teachable, but most will move back onto the
Clinton column come the convention. That’s what I’m seeing as I work
through all this as a Sanders delegate.

The Sanders leadership just doesn’t have the sand to take on the big
players. They’re a little more combative than the obamians were, but
they just don’t have enough of a base aside from inside the machinery of
the democrats. Once in awhile, Sanders makes a point that compels
Clinton to run against herself, but he doesn’t have – nor does he want-
the presence of character enough to press his advantage. He is a third
rate man in a,situation that requires a second rate man, He is a
Humphrey when the times require a McGovern. As for the bulk of the
Sandernistas that I’ve seen at the Washington caucuses, many have fire,
but are too drawn in by the party’s smoke and mirrors to mount
a,credible opposition. Evidence may be seen in their howls of outrage
over the petty bureaucracy machinations, and their inability to see the
most gross deception like the , the Trump/Cruz bogey.

There is no in depth discussion of what it might mean to begin to
organize a grassroots opposition to the right wing, there is only a
quiet fear that borders on panic. There are tiny layers within the
Sanders ranks out here who will say “stuff it” to whatever horror shows
the clinton people will drag out and vote third party come what may. But
the chances of creating an open split with the Clinton democrats remain
largely reliant on one key contradiction. That is thearrogance and the
presumption of the clintons and their supporters, who remain bone
headedly wedded to their dynastic succession fantasies, and mouth off as
though they make some kind of sense. They present a nonstop willingness
to.play the “rule or ruin” card, and occasionally step on their own selves.

But to take advantage of this, the Sanders faction needs someone other
then Sanders to lead the charge. And unless there is a major set-back
for Clinton in California – the new york machinery blew sanders out last
night- there will be no more of the more combative Sanders who began to
mouth off after his string of primary victories. I will be participating
in the platform struggles out here in the coming weeks, but frankly,
it’s looking more and more to me like the Sanders political revolution
is exactly what some of us have been saying all along, more fuss and
feathers than actual bird.