[Marxism] Fwd: The (un)Democratic Primary: Why We Need a New Party of the 99%

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 22 09:52:05 MDT 2016

On 4/22/16 8:58 AM, Mark Lause via Marxism wrote:

> I really want to urge the articulate supporters of the Sanders campaign to
> put together a balance sheet on this experience.  I'm not making this as a
> rhetorical call.  There are things worth assessing here.  And there is a
> need for us to go forward with tools and processes with which to make such
> assessments.

John Gulick on FB:

After devoting a lot of time and energy (months of it) to criticizing
the Sanders campaign/movement from the left -- in a circumscribed and
non-sectarian fashion, I hope -- last night I wandered on to the
Facebook page of an old college acquaintance, an ex-college radical
turned liberal (although he calls himself a "leftist") and a diehard
Democrat. To me this world is an alternate reality, but of course it's
the mainstream reality far more overwhelming than my own little
fantasyland. Anyway, there's a very spirited dialogue (sometimes nasty,
usually civil) between Clinton supporters and Sanders supporters on his
page, but there is almost universal agreement among the Sanders
supporters -- many of them quite avid -- that once it's mathematically
impossible for Sanders to get the win, he should stand down for the
greater good of the DP in the general election. Hardly any of them view
the Sanders campaign -- and to them it's a campaign, not a "movement" --
as a left-populist insurgency that is trying to change the party, much
less fracture it. They merely see it as a contest between two good
candidates with somewhat different ideologies, policy ideas, and
approaches to socio-political change.