[Marxism] Afghanistan

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Apr 26 09:18:37 MDT 2016

An interesting comment that grew out of a tangential thread on my
article "Taking Out the Baathist Garbage" that faulted Alexander
Cockburn and the Sparts for backing the Soviet army in Afghanistan. I
really wasn't that interested in debating that but Pete Glosser has made
some very valuable contributions along these lines:

It's a fact that the substantial Russian presence in Afghanistan before
the invasion had a very limited number of "good" qualities--some women
were able to enter the professions for example. I was in Kabul in 1971
or '72 and had to have a tooth drilled. Denied access to the USAID
compound, I was directed to a Dr. Siffeti by a Kabuli I happened to
meet. Dr. Siffeti was a woman doing business without the chadori (Afghan
version of the hijab) who, with only a foot-powered drill and a pot of
rather questionable amalgam very skillfully and painlessly gave me a
filling that lasted for thirty years. She charged next to nothing for
it. Dr. Siffeti had been trained in Russia. I liked her very much, and
have often wondered what became of her in the convulsions that followed.

Oddly enough, many of the the few automobiles one saw on the streets of
Kabul (apart from the very occasional upperclass Benz) were Russian
vehicles that looked like hallucinated Loewy Studebakers. Even more
common was an SUV-sized 4x4 with huge differential cases that used up a
significant part of the vehicle's ground clearance. [But the trucks and
jitney buses that abounded all had local bodywork ingeniously
constructed on American truck chassis. (The things old men remember!)]

That said, however, there remains no conceivable justification for the
conduct of the Soviet army during the invasion, and the notion that it
represented a progressive force is just nonsense. No legitimately
progressive movement could have governed in the top-down way that the
Russian-backed People's Democratic Party of Afghanistan's succession of
regimes (Taraki and Karmal) did. They simply did not have the support of
the population. many of whom one suspects had never heard of them until
they tried to govern. When you add to that the pure murder of the Soviet
military tactics, you have only the grotesque parody of a progressive
force. Whatever inroads a progressive outlook may once have made into
the hearts and minds of the peoples of Afghanistan was entirely killed
off by this--no surprise: consider how Stalin killed off communism in
Russia and in the wider world, so much so that only the followers of Bob
Avakian and the good old CPUSA--whatever is left of it--plus Slavoj
Zizek even use the word any more.

It should be added that the existence of political parties in
Afghanistan (including the PDPA) was specifically allowed by the
country's 1964 constitution--an innovation that should receive far more
credit for such advances as there were in that disastrously impoverished
place than the the PDPA and the Russians. There was (in Kabul among the
educated elite) a decidedly liberal tendency that manifested itself in a
number of ways that a Westerner would have considered enlightened. There
was even a nightclub in Kabul (called the bist-du-panj or Twenty-Five
Hour Club)--quite popular with visiting Western archaeologists and
construction engineers--where drinks were served in defiance of the
strict ban on alcohol observed by the great majority of the country's
Muslims. The abortive liberalism that in one of its manifestations
allowed this probably deserves far more credit for the "advanced"
tendencies in prewar Afghanistan (such as they were in the face of the
world's worst social inequality) than the PDPA.

The fact is that the PDPA, which existed legally because of the '64
constitution, seized power by first backing the King's cousin Daoud in
his 1973 coup and then turning on him in a coup of its own, which led
(by way of an internecine power struggle) directly to the Russian invasion.

This was not in any sense of the word revolution, and the hostile
reaction that resulted during the Russian invasion is undoubtedly the
primary cause for the eventual growth of the Islamist mujaheddin
tendency. The U.S. merely took advantage of the situation, in which it
eventually ensnared itself and the people of Afghanistan, which is
another god-awful story altogether, although of course related.

Here is link to a picture of the toylike "butterfly" antipersonnel mines
that the Russians actually did use extensively (as opposed to the
mythical exploding dolls). It is said that the toy-like appearance was
deliberate--we really have no way of knowing, but it is obvious that
this smooth and brightly colored thing would have appealed to a child in
a country where the toy supply was limited:

http://www.robertgalbraith.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Demining-Afghanistan14.jpg

Kaboom! If this Satanic contraption is "advanced" or in any way adds to
the glory of The People Yes, I'm a monkey's uncle. But hey, let's all
lie about this too!

Sorry, Louis--this is a bit tangential to the thread, but I hope related
enough to be worthwhile.