[Marxism] Nada Elia: Time to Stop Celebrating Jewish Dissent in Palestine Solidarity Mvmt

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 29 08:24:30 MDT 2016

On 4/29/16 10:07 AM, DW via Marxism wrote:
> Weir, besides have zero understanding of Imperialism as a class, is notable
> because she refuses to take up blatant anti-Jewish bigotry when it's thrown
> in her face on the many right-wing, tea-party like radio stations she
> appears on. Some of these broadcasts are on YouTube or on those networks
> steaming audio. She simply sits there and avoids confronting such bigotry.
> Among many Palestinian solidarity activists, this is unforgivable.

A lot of these problems are rooted in the crisis of Marxism. When I
joined the SWP in 1967, the axis of Palestinian solidarity was in the
overlapping spheres of radical nationalism and Marxism. Palestinian
guerrillas identified with Che Guevara and the Trotskyist movement
worldwide was capable of rallying people around class-based slogans and
analysis. People like Peter Buch and Jon Rothschild used to speak to
thousands of people on campuses around the country. In 1973 I organized
a Militant Forum on the Yom Kippur war in Houston that drew 125 people,
including just about every radical Arab student in the area as well as
the local TV station.

So what happened? The left imploded. The USSR went kaput. The
Palestinian solidarity movement on campus emerged around BDS but with
little involvement from Marxists. You also had a development of
"realists" opposed to Zionism like Mearsheimer and Walt, as well as
liberals fed up with the settlers. You also had Hamas that screwed
things up with suicide bombing. A complete mess for the most part.

In my opinion Allison Weir is a person whose views are shaped by the
general milieu, one that is not favorable to a class analysis. In the
1970s she would have barely gotten attention. We need to change the
objective circumstances in order to promote a POV that can serve the
Palestinian cause more effectively. That unfortunately can not be done
overnight.