[Marxism] Alison Weir

A.R. G amithrgupta at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 01:00:02 MDT 2016

Hi Ken,

As per Louis' statement (and the fact that we have already done this
several times) I don't think it's worth litigating what Alison Weir did or
didn't say in an interview +5 years ago. From what I could make out, she
did challenge him, but perhaps not enough.

In either case, we would have to completely ignore the fact that the
Palestinian refugee at the event has stated quite clearly why she -- not
the students -- felt compelled to call off the event, namely that Stanford
SJP did not want her to challenge Israel's right to exist. We would have to
ignore that they admit to making this absurd request of their speaker, and
then we have to ignore the other inconsistencies in -- and the sheer
absurdity of -- their explanation that the event had to be cancelled over
someone in the audience allegedly refusing to leave. The simple fact is
that they lied, and now they are trying to cover their asses for
effectively trying to censor a Palestinian refugee by screaming about
anti-Semites in the audience.

This is why the Palestine Solidarity movement in the West is so pathetic
and weak. There is no need for administrative censorship or suggestions
that anti-Zionism is anti-Semitism when student groups shut down and censor
anti-Zionist talks themselves and then chalk it up to (very vague, very
dishonest, and very attenuated, *audience-related*) concerns about
anti-Semitism. Those of you who have been doing this organizing outside of
the internet and in real life can testify as to how bad it is. Just look at
the people commenting on the SJP's Facebook page. You have Tony Greenstein
justifying this nonsense even after they admit to making the request to
censor the refugee's comments about Israel. And these people have put
themselves in charge! What a pathetic joke!

- Amith