[Marxism] Fwd: Interview With João Pedro Stédile: “Dilma’s mistake was to promote class conciliation” – The Dawn

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Apr 30 06:06:26 MDT 2016

As an economist, apart of a leader to the peasants, could you explain
how much the current economic crisis weighed in the current political
crisis of Brazil?

The economic crisis is the reason why the class conciliation ceased to
be possible, because when Lula was President, he designed a conciliation
that was based on three pillars: firstly, to make the economy grow
through industry (which he accomplished), secondly, to recover the role
of the state of making productive investments such as education and
health, to better the living conditions of the population and thirdly,
to distribute the income through an increase in the minimum wage. What
happened? With the international crisis of capitalism the economy of
Brazil, as a country in the periphery of capitalism, suffered greatly,
and for three years the economy hasn’t grown.

Twenty years ago industry represented 50 percent of our GNP and now, due
to deindustrialization and the arrival of Chinese and US companies,
national industry is only 9 percent of the GFP, and there’s a deep
economic crisis that can only be solved by recovering, again, the role
of the state, controlling financial capital so that instead of
accumulating wealth through speculation, the state can use that money to
make productive investments in the industry and agriculture, oriented
towards the internal market. With that, the economy would grow again,
and we’d have a new role for the workforce (because nowadays we have an
unemployment rate of 10 percent) and we could have social programs again.

The political crisis we’re going through is a consequence of the elites
trying to get back the state and restore neoliberalism, but the working
class isn’t going to accept that. It’s going to take years to get out of
this, because the only way out of a crisis of this magnitude is through
an agreement between social classes —not just parties— over a new model
of the country, that can be hegemonic in most of society.

And now, in this moment, there’s no project being discussed in the
country, not even within any of the classes —neither the bourgeoisie nor
the petite bourgeoisie, nor the working class have a clear project for
the country, and that’s why we’re in this confusion and why the
bourgeoisie is stupid enough —because they’re subordinated to the
interests of imperialism— to think it’s enough to change the President
of the Republic to magically solve the problems of the economy, but
that’s not true. On the contrary, that would deepen the contradictions
of inequality, deepen the institutional crisis and, hopefully, send the
masses back on the streets so that they, with their political force,
debate a new project for the country.

full:
http://www.thedawn-news.org/2016/04/26/interview-with-joao-pedro-stedile-dilmas-mistake-was-to-promote-class-conciliation/