[Marxism] The LIES about Stanford SJP

A.R. G amithrgupta at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 11:38:19 MDT 2016

Sorry, my last post wasn't sent out to the entire list:

I'd suggest you look at what the Palestinian refugee herself had to say as
well as the multiple Facebook posts from Stanford SJP effectively
validating the refugee's statements. Their own explanation is absurd.

For reference, here is where you can find those items.

1) Palestinian refugee Amena El-Ashkar explaining, in depth, why *she* --
not the Stanford SJP organizers -- felt compelled to call off the event.
She explicitly points out that the reason was when organizers told her that
the issue was Alison Weir's alleged rejection of Israel's right to exist,
prompting El-Ashkar to agree with Alison. Amena did not take the request
not to mention Israel's "right to exist" during the talk very nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKqkm5j7qd4

2) Here is a second statement from Stanford SJP admitting that they asked
Amena El-Ashkar not to question Israel's right to exist, citing
administrative pressure:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/stanford-students-for-justice-in-palestine/on-the-events-of-april-6th-2016/1019432714815563

3) Here is Stanford SJP's original statement, mentioning that Weir complied
with requests not to sell her personal literature:
https://www.facebook.com/StanfordSJP/posts/1015517068540461

The central claim is that Weir refused to leave when asked. Even if it is
reasonable to comb through an audience to find problem people and ask them
to leave, they did not call security. Instead, the entire event was
cancelled (?). it's worth noting Weir also denies that anyone asked her to
leave at all:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153546910184632&id=32975139631&substory_index=0

That would be consistent with the fact that it was the Palestinian refugee
who called off the event because the organizers tried to censor her, rather
than the organizers shutting down the event because Weir wouldn't leave.

4) Here is a press release from the tour organizers outlining what role, if
any, Weir had at the event:
http://freepalestinemovement.org/2016/04/13/palestinian-refugee-stanford-students-censored-me/

Weir gave Amena, the refugee speaker, public speaking advice and brought
generic informational materials, one of which questioned Israel's right to
exist, prompting this circus.

5) Also worth noting, Stanford SJP's own website features Alison Weir's
website, "If Americans Knew": http://sjp.stanford.edu/resources/websites/

We are now expected to pick between explanations. Either the Palestinian
refugee called off the event when, as both sides agree, she was asked not
to challenge Israel's right to exist. Or, we can buy the explanation that
an entire event was shut down because allegations against one person -- who
was in the audience, had provided some generic materials, who had complied
with requests not to sell her own wares, and whose only connection with the
speaker was giving her some public speaking advice -- required preventing a
rare opportunity to hear from members of a Palestinian community that is
widely ignored in America as it is in Lebanon.

Quite frankly, at this point, the refusal to admit wrongdoing and the
continued, almost uncritical support for a liberal student organization
over the words of a Palestinian refugee -- especially when the issue is an
extremely tenuous allegation of anti-Semitism (she's been accused, she was
in the audience) -- is revealing on its own. The simple fact is that a
significant number of people on the Left put organizations ahead of people,
even when those organizations begin literally adopting the racism that
they've been tasked with fighting.

- Amith