[Marxism] FB comment on Zizek by Jacob Bard-Rosenberg

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 6 06:00:31 MDT 2016

Yeah, people need to stop giving him airspace. A few of us had a pretty
much stand-up row with him in Ramallah at the end of last year. He
parachuted into our conference - which was pretty sensitive and full of
a mix of artists, writers, activists, academics, some Palestinian, many
from other Arab contexts, and many Europeans. He proceeded to give us
his usual spiel: half an hour of graphic description of sexual violence
against women; behaving like his audience is made up of some archetype
of liberal, Western female grad students who for some reason he believes
would be the just victims of said violence. Luckily some amazing women
in the audience basically forced him to shut up. He then started
cracking anti-Semitic jokes. Nothing I would normally be upset about so
much except it was a conference full of those of us who do political
work in Palestine and with Palestinians, and it is exactly what the
Israeli state wants, to be able to call us all anti-semites. Literally
had a screaming argument with him about this - and he just couldn't get
that the complaint was about *us* and not about *him*. Thick,
narcissistic bastard. His mate Udi Aloni also turned up, defended the
anti-Semitic comment, but was forced to shut up quickly when a friend
who works in theatre in Palestine pointed out that Udi takes advantage
of the fact there is no copyright in Palestine to rip off artists in
making his films. And of course Zizek came to Udi's defence. Heard from
other friends in Turkey that the two of them decided to repeat the
anti-semitism act in Istanbul a few months later.

This is just an anecdote I guess. He's done far worse. His commentary on
the refugee crisis has been ridiculously racist, his piece about trans*
stuff was disgusting, and literally every time I've heard him speak it's
just endless graphic descriptions of violence against women always
presented in a way that not only trivialises it (I don't think all jokes
do this by any means, but his do), and which function on the level of
transforming all women into the sorts of archetypes he believes would
either justify or trivialise that violence.

I don't agree with what was said above about the whole Slovenian school
by someone. Some of them I think can be decent - when heard Alenka
Zupancic and Mladen Dolar speak I've found them both sympathetic and
interesting, even if I would disagree with them on all sorts. Zizek on
the other hand is another thing, and people need to stop inviting his
opinions and presence.