[Marxism] Fwd: Homage to Abbas Kiarostami, part one | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Aug 9 14:12:48 MDT 2016

	Jean-Luc Godard has said: “Film begins with DW Griffith and ends with
Abbas Kiarostami.” According to Martin Scorsese, “Kiarostami represents
the highest level of artistry in the cinema.” When these words are
quoted at Kiarostami, he winces most charmingly. “This admiration is
perhaps more appropriate after I am dead,” he says.

That’s from the April 16, 2005 Guardian. Since Kiarostami died on the
fourth of July this year, it seems appropriate to now state one’s
admiration—not that I would put myself in the same league as Jean-Luc
Godard or Martin Scorsese.

For reasons I can’t quite pin down, my discovery of Kiarostami came
fairly late in life. I have been a cinephile since 1961 and began
writing film reviews as a member of New York Film Critics Online about
20 years ago but saw my first film by the Iranian director and
screenwriter only two years ago when I reviewed “The Wind Will Carry Us”
for CounterPunch. Jeff St. Clair titled the review “Is Abbas Kiarostami
the World’s Most Talented Film-maker?” and the answer to that rhetorical
question was answered positively in my article.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2016/08/09/homage-to-abbas-kiarostami-part-one/