[Marxism] [UCE] FAIR?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Aug 11 07:04:06 MDT 2016

On 8/11/16 8:56 AM, Andrew Pollack via Marxism wrote:
> For those getting this on the ufpj list, I'm not interested here in a back
> and forth with Assadists about the facts. I'm interested in intelligent
> commentary on why FAIR has taken this reactionary stance.

For the same reason The Nation, Counterpunch, Salon, the LRB, ZNet and a
thousand other zines and print publications do. They see Syria in the
same light as they saw Iraq in 2003 or so. It is an intellectual, moral
and political failure that helped to shape the GP's foreign policy. In
some ways, it is analogous to the majority support on the left for
Stalin in the 1930s when the New Republic, the Nation and Walter Duranty
were publishing garbage. It takes a lot of backbone to swim against the
stream and most people on the left seem to be invertebrates at this point.