[Marxism] When We Loved Mussolini

Thomas thomasfbarton at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 13 12:09:01 MDT 2016

Although the content of the article below appears reasonable, the title, "When We Loved Mussolini," is a poke in the eye.

My grandfather moved to upper Michigan from a village near Lucca, Italy, around 1900 to work for the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company, and along with his brothers in the copper mines, joined the Western Federation of Miners that led the great strike of 1913. My Aunt Eva very nearly burned in the fire at Italian Hall set by the company on the occasion of a Christmas Eve 1913 fund raiser for the union.

Later the family moved to Kenosha, Wisc., where my granddad worked in the Simmons Bed Factory and Uncle Ralph got a job at the Nash Auto Plant, UAW all the way.

They hated Mussolini.  My Uncle Frank went with his union brothers, baseball bats in hand, to fascist meetings at a bar in Kenosha in the late 1930's to express that point of view.

At a kid I learned from my Uncle Ralph who Carlo Tresca was and why I should never forget his name.

"We" didn't invade Iraq.

"We" didn't invade Afghanistan.

And "we" didn't love Mussolini.