[Marxism] An iranian leftist's perspective on Syria

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 22:38:14 MST 2016

The article is indeed a complete pack of lies, Andy's outburst was fully
justified. Just on this:

>  He would
> argue that being against ISIS and the other fundamentalist groups,
> which
> are the main alternative to the Assad dictatorship, is just sensible.

Louis already responded to this adequately. That "ISIS and the other
fundamentalist groups" is the typical sleight of hand engaged in by
every apologist for tyranny. There is simply no comparison between ISIS
and absolutely any other group (including Nusra, which itself accounts
for not more than 10% of the cadres of the insurgency), quite apart from
the fact that they fight on *opposite* sides.

But so if we get rid of the loaded "and the other fundamentalist
groups", we are left with the assertion that ISIS is "the main
alternative to the Assad dictatorship." Anyone with more than a mere
passing interest in Syria would know very well that ISIS has never been
even remotely posed to take Damascus or Aleppo, has never even remotely
been posed as an "alternative" to Assad. All one needs to do is look at
a map. And the couple of times some wild strands, some outreach parties,
of ISIS have ventured closer to Damascus (never even remotely with the
forces to take Damascus), it has been none other than the Syrian rebels
that have driven them away.

As for the idea that it is "sensible" that there can be a worse
alternative than Assad, I'll just quote Michael Neumann, someone who has
consistently written good stuff on Syria
http://insufficientrespect.blogspot.com.au/2016/08/yes-do-compare-atrocities.html:

"The very same people who cannot believe that the world just throws up
its hands over Syria belong to those who enable that reaction.  They cry
out about human rights and war crimes, legitimating ridiculously broad
categories that level out all choices into exercises in futility.  Human
rights discourse sets you up to say, there are no good options.  And
that indeed is how people react.

"Well, what's wrong with that?  Drop the refusal to compare and the
problem becomes apparent.  The situation in Syria presents far more than
a choice between alleged evils.  Comparison would show the crucial fact
whose neglect affects all the West's reactions and policy decisions
about Syria:  that Assad represents an evil orders of magnitude greater
than what is normally encountered in this world.

"Imagine that people did actually examine and compare the record of the
various parties to the Syrian conflict.  They might find reasons why it
is not only morally permissible but morally obligatory, at times, to
give full military support to people who commit war crimes and violate
human rights.  That realization can occur only when people stop saying
it's all the same and really look at the details of atrocities.

"The worst atrocities are almost never reported.  Incredibly, the latest
Amnesty International account of torture in Syrian jails specifies the
details of only of cases which are mild by Assad's standards.  Perhaps
here again, to report worse is thought merely prurient by an agency
known for its 'even-handedness', that is, its refusal to compare.

"But the details say something otherwise impossible to convey:  that the
Assad régime, even in the face of all the other horrible régimes around
the world, introduces a level of barbarism scarcely conceivable.  How
typical for the world to focus on Assad's bombing, as if this was his
worst, as if some fancy American fighter jets could do some flyovers and
make all well.  There are two reasons this won't do.

"First, the focus won't overcome the refusal to compare: think how many
will say, "but doesn't the West bomb civilians too?  Didn't the US and
Britain do this, deliberately, in the Second World War?  Isn't bombing
civilians, whether or not it is fully expected 'collateral damage', a
terrible thing?  What, are we going to compare atrocities now?"  Second,
the focus on barrel bombs is oblivious to Syria's realities.  For Assad,
barrel bombs are a mere convenience.  Before the barrel bombs, his
forces didn't kill children from the sky.  They took knives and slit the
throats of babies and toddlers.  There are photographs and
well-confirmed reports of this for anyone who takes the trouble to find
them.

"The refusal to compare and its consequent avoidance of details conceals
uncomfortable facts.  ISIS' beheadings that so shock the world take
moments; they are humane compared to the slow deaths Assad's torturers
have inflicted on victims as young as 11.  Bombing hospitals is indeed
terrible:  before the bombings, régime troops invaded the hospitals on
foot and tortured people in their hospital beds.  And the tortures of
Abu Ghraib are love pats compared to what Assad inflicts on human flesh.

"To these qualitative comparisons must be added quantitative ones.
Assad murders and tortures many times more people than any other
participant in the conflict.  To first preach about the awfulness of
atrocities, and then assign no weight to how many human beings suffer
them, is nothing short of bizarre.

"It's hardly a surprise that honest comparisons are avoided: the
conclusions they compel are so unwelcome.  But they loom large because
they point to a crossroads of morality and political realism.  The
fact - it is a fact - is that ISIS, which conducts massacres, beheads
people, blows up civilians, executes by burning alive and throws
homosexuals off buildings - is, according to all reports on the scale
and nature of the atrocities, much less brutal than the Syrian
government