[Marxism] Narcos

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Dec 13 06:04:49 MST 2016

On 12/13/16 12:34 AM, Anthony Boynton via Marxism wrote:

> Louis is a good reviewer, but one piece of history that is totally fiction
> in Narcos is the portrayl of an alliance between M-19 and Pablo Escobar
> which is a fiction invented by the DEA and the paramilitaries and spread by
> Alvaro Uribe. it should not be repeated on this list as if it were true,
> especially since it has been used as justification for killing M-19 leaders.

As I pointed out in my review, there was a consistent attempt to smear
the left in "Narcos" so I would be happy to be found wrong on the M-19,
however this caught my eye in the Wiki on the assault on the Palace of
Justice:

"Author Ana Carrigan, who quoted the June 1986 report in her book on the
siege and originally dismissed any such links between the M-19 and the
drug mafia, told Cromos magazine in late 2005 that she now believes that
the mafia may have financially supported the M-19."

There was a link to an article that no longer works so I couldn't follow
up on this. Maybe others would be motivated to track it down but I am
too busy with other matters now.