[Marxism] Fwd: All That Hollywood Jazz

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Dec 16 09:01:45 MST 2016

After having seen four narrative films and one documentary this year
based on jazz musicians, I am prompted to offer some reflections on the
films and on the state of jazz today. Once called America’s classical
music, there are obvious reasons to be concerned about its future.
Whether or not you believe that it is our classical music, we should all
understand that its artists have never benefited from the kind of
institutional support that is given to opera, ballet or the symphony
orchestra. Except for Jazz at Lincoln Center, musicians have to fend for
themselves, working in nightclubs where conversation between hedge fund
managers and their dates compete with horn players trying to convey
transcendental insights over the chord changes of “A Night in Tunisia”.

full: http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/12/16/all-that-hollywood-jazz/