[Marxism] YPG leader on the fall of eastern Aleppo

Nick Fredman nick.j.fredman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 20:08:18 MST 2016

This article includes a fairly detailed analysis of the social and
political background of different factions of the rebels, and
how sectarianisation and ill-fated alliances particularly with an
increasingly militarized and authoritarian Turkey contributed to the
disaster. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the analysis, and from my
relatively comfortable perch in suburban Melbourne I don't presume to cast
definitive judgement on all the tactical moves of those engaged in an
extremely complex and brutal war and revolution, but the analysis and the
perspective for a multi-ethnic, federal, democratic Syria deserve to be
taken more seriously by those too quick to put forward dismissive
caricatures and slanders of this movement. For example in Facebook
discussion I've been struck by the decided lack of objectivity of those
who've gleefully referred to "proof" of YPG-regime collaboration in the
recent fighting, when this "proof" consists of a couple of smudgy, low-res,
long-shot, easily faked pics and videos of YPG and regime flags flying
together, on regime and Russian websites, which some of the accusers
have clearly not bothered to look at let alone critically assess.

The fall of eastern Aleppo
By Polat Can
http://kurdishquestion.com/article/3706-the-fall-of-eastern-aleppo