[Marxism] Trump, Assad and the US Left

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 07:14:35 MST 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl G. Estabrook via Marxism

> Given the extent of US responsibility for the general situation, we
> should pay for steps taken by the UNSC to pacify the region.

Yes, just what the left needs to be calling for, a "pacification"
program. Don't worry Carl, seems Trump and Putin will be organising one
of those to clean up and "pacify" all those uppity Arabs and Muslims in
the region. Time to restore the pre-2011 Order in the region.

> But I’m appalled at the Obama administration’s efforts to support the
> jihadists in the face of Trump’s threat to abandon them.

What is it about leftists who think that when the US bombs "jihadists"
in Syria for years, but never Assad, this indicates that the US is
"supporting" jihadists and trying to overthrow Assad? Is bombing them
just a devious way of bringing about their victory? Is not bombing
Assad, indeed, bombing alongside, in alliance with, Assad forces,
against jihadists, just a devious way of making Assad look bad? As for
any alleged new "attempts" by Obama to support those it has been bombing
for over 2 years in the face of trump's more open support for
Putin/Assad, not sure how that idea squares with reality:

Obama Declares Fight is With Terrorists Rather Than Assad
http://eaworldview.com/2016/11/syria-feature-obama-declares-fight-terrorists-rather-than-assad/

November 11 2016
by Scott Lucas
Two days after Donald Trump’s election, officials of the Obama
Administration have publicly acknowledged the shift in US involvement in
Syria, focusing on the killing of leaders of the jihadist faction Jabhat
Fatah al-Sham (formerly Jabhat al-Nusra) rather than confrontation with
the Assad regime or even the Islamic State.
The officials said President Obama has ordered the Pentagon to find and
kill the leaders of JFS/Nusra, which formally revoked its allegiance to
Al Qa’eda in July to focus on “unity” in the fight against the Assad
regime.
Despite the revocation, the official said Obama ordered the deployment
of more drones and intelligence assets, overseen by the Joint Special
¬Operations Command, because of “concern that [JFS/Nusra] is turning
parts of Syria into a new base of operations for al-Qaeda on Europe’s
southern doorstep”.
The officials said the White House and State Department led the shift,
overriding the objections of Pentagon staff who do not want to pull
resources away from the fight against the Islamic State.