[Marxism] Fwd: The specter that is haunting Vivek Chibber: combined and uneven development | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Feb 3 16:10:03 MST 2016

It would appear that Trotsky’s theory of combined and uneven development
informs not only Anievas and Nisancioglu’s “How the West Came to Rule”
but four articles I recently read that are critical of Vivek Chibber’s
“Postcolonial Theory and the Specter of Capital”. This might lead one to
believe that no matter how failed a project the Fourth International
was, Trotsky’s ideas remain current especially for scholars grappling
with the Eurocentrism of Political Marxism, a tendency that includes
Vivek Chibber as one of its most truculent spokesmen.

Vivek Chibber stormed on the scene in 2013 with the publication of
“Postcolonial Theory and the Specter of Capital”. It created the same
kind of stir as Alan Sokal’s Social Text hoax in 1996 that was greeted
by virtually the entire left, including me. We saw him as our Marxist
savior against postmodernist obfuscation. Not two years after the hoax,
I discovered that Sokal had never read Richard Lewontin and writing
partner Richard Levins, who were included in the very issue that Sokal
sought to discredit.

It is entirely possible that the bloom has also begun to fade from the
Chibber rose. For the Marxist wing of the postcolonial academic
discipline, many see him as an interloper who did more damage than good.
Indeed, the complaint heard from all four of his critics considered here
is that he was not very knowledgeable about his subject. To start with,
his polemic was directed against Subaltern Studies that his writings
suggest to be the dog wagging the tail of postcolonial theory when in
fact postcolonialism appeared on the scene a full decade before
Subaltern Studies and actually was responsible for it gaining
recognition. Furthermore, there was a reductionist element to his attack
on Ranajit Guha, Partha Chatterjee, and Dipesh Chakrabarty that despite
abetting his polemical zeal gave short shrift to the complexity of their
ideas.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2016/02/03/the-specter-that-is-haunting-vivek-chibber-combined-and-uneven-development/