[Marxism] Joshua Frank comment on FB

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Feb 6 15:03:57 MST 2016

The left's cheerleading of bombs falling on Aleppo in Syria is so
disgusting. Very good, independent journalists on the ground have long
reported that Aleppo is controlled largely by rebels, not al Nursa as
the Russian/Assad propagandists would have us believe. Now tens of
thousands are racing for their lives out of the war zone to the Turkish
border where they are being set up in rag-tag camps, depending on others
for survival. They know the bombs falling on their homes are Russia's.
And the so-called "left" is cheering this on as if it's a victory
against imperialism. A total, ignorant disgrace with no sense of history
or what it was that sparked the legitimate revolution in Syria. But you
know, at least Assad was nice enough (like Netanyahu in Gaza) to drop
leaflets letting the poor folks know they were about to be slaughtered.
How courteous of the man Bush once sent detainees to torture on our
behalf. Syria was our main destination for extraordinary rendition for
years. Assad was our pal in torture. But the left now sees Assad as the
good guy and Russia as only aiding his efforts to fight "terror". What a
disgrace. I am quite certain that Edward Said would be appalled by the
"left's" current strain of Orientalism. I know I am.