[Marxism] Putin

MM marxmail00 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 21:31:56 MST 2016

> On Feb 12, 2016, at 9:26 PM, Andrew Stewart via Marxism <marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> Diana Johnstone has a new interview with Eric Draitser about her book on
> Clinton, QUEEN OG CHAOS, worth a listen, particularly in her discussion of
> Putin.
>
> http://store.counterpunch.org/diana-johnstone-episode-30/ <http://store.counterpunch.org/diana-johnstone-episode-30/>

God, that’s unbearable. The discussion from around 18:00 is just surreal - what overwhelming, demonising hatred of Putin are they talking about? They both seem to have crawled inside Seamus Milne’s fevered imagination -- where hard-bodied-but-soft-hearted Putin is under attack from those big meanies -- and to have mistaken the propaganda for reality. In reality, he’s been treated with the kind of hardball adversarial diplomacy you’d have to expect among leaders of contending major powers. But cartoonish, “Manichean" hatred? I think maybe somebody’s protesting a bit too much.