[Marxism] Fwd: Robert J Gordon and the rise and fall of American capitalism | Michael Roberts Blog

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Feb 15 05:43:29 MST 2016

In the last few years, Robert J. Gordon, a professor of economics at
Northwestern University, has persistently argued against the trendy view
of the moment that robots, AI and other ‘disruptive technologies’ are
about to launch the global economy into a productivity boost never seen
before.  I have commented before on Gordon’s series of papers developing
this proposition.

And very recently, Gordon presented his arguments yet again at ASSA 2016
when he critiqued a paper by David Kotz and Deepankur Basu at an URPE
session.

As Gordon says succinctly in that critique: “The evidence accumulates
every quarter to support my view that the most important contributions
to productivity of the digital revolution are in the past, not in the
future.  The reason that business firms are spending their money on
share buy-backs instead of plant and equipment investment is that the
current wave of innovation is not producing novelty sufficiently
important to earn the required rate of return.”

full:
https://thenextrecession.wordpress.com/2016/02/14/robert-j-gordon-and-the-rise-and-fall-of-american-capitalism/