[Marxism] Fwd: Left-leaning critics of Sanders? Left of Attila the Hun that is | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Feb 16 09:53:47 MST 2016

When I saw the headline in today’s NY Times “Left-Leaning Economists
Question Cost of Bernie Sanders’s Plans”, I bet myself before a bottle
of good Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand reading the article that the
“left-leaning” economists are not people like Michael Perelman or
Richard Wolff. Naturally, given the paper’s backing for Hillary Clinton,
this was a safe bet. The wine will go nicely with the Mahi Mahi later
tonight that was probably caught in the waters near New Zealand. Yummy.

Before examining the article, I should say that I am very sympathetic to
Sanders’s economic program. Calling for universal Medicare and free
college education is a perfect way to counter the neoliberal programs of
every other candidate and even to force Clinton to shift to the left
(mostly rhetorically). That being said, I have not voted for a Democrat
since 1964 when LBJ essentially carried out Barry Goldwater’s agenda in
Vietnam. It was only three years later when I became a Trotskyist that I
fully understood how the American two-party system operated. Unlike the
training I got from people like Farrell Dobbs and George Novack,
however, I am much more flexible on the type of party I find acceptable.
James P. Cannon regarded Henry Wallace’s 1948 campaign as “bourgeois”
while I consider it a model for the type of party that is needed now.
Since Jill Stein’s candidacy for the Green Party is close to that in
spirit, that is who I will be voting for.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2016/02/16/left-leaning-critics-of-sanders-left-of-attila-the-hun-that-is/