[Marxism] Carnage in Syria a Product of US Empowerment of Saudi Arabia--really?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Feb 18 10:47:28 MST 2016

Since I follow Vijay Prashad on Twitter, I became aware of his interview
with Paul Jay on the Real News Network:

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=15697

I was intrigued by the subject heading. Is the carnage in Syria really a
product of US empowerment of Saudi Arabia?

Unlike raving Baathist lunatics like Mike Whitney, Vijay Prashad is a
far more subtle commentator on the region taking great care to give the
appearance that he is opposed to all intervention, either from the USA,
Turkey and Saudi Arabia on one side and Russia and Iran on the other.
This distinguishes him from the Baathist amen corner even though most of
the discussion with Paul Jay had to do with Saudi Arabia's role in a
proxy war--as they put it.

But what does this really mean? (This is a rhetorical question since I
am used to Vijay seeing Marxmail as a one-way street.)

There have been, by Vijay's admission, 470,000 deaths in Syria. On one
side you have MIG's, armored helicopters, tanks, heavy artillery, poison
gas, rocket launchers that were in and of themselves insufficient to
quell the rebellion. So now we have Russian bombers and battleships
firing cruise missiles. On the other side, you have had for the most
part machine guns and mortars with anti-tank weapons only entering the
picture fairly recently. Does anybody think that an anti-tank weapon has
been used to kill massive numbers of pro-Assad Syrians? Why would you
waste a TOW missile on a Damascus high-rise when it would be much more
useful aimed at a tank? This is not to speak of the refusal of the
bloodthirsty Saudis to refuse supplying MANPAD's to the rebels.

I don't know if Vijay Prashad or Paul Jay ever bothered watching a film
like "Return to Homs" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuiFGECCmRw),
which shows the asymmetrical nature of the war in Syria. Young men hide
out in bombed out buildings looking like those in Stalingrad 1943 poke
their machine guns out of holes in the wall to try to stop tanks. That's
what the war has been about. And here we have a couple of Marxists,
progressives, radicals, anti-imperialists--whatever they want to call
themselves--basically arguing that the carnage in Syria is to be blamed
by Turkey or Saudi Arabia providing machine guns and bullets to people
whose only goal is to get rid of family dynasty that has enriched itself
while the country goes hungry.

Sad, really.