[Marxism] Bloody Counterrevolution in Aleppo: on Russian Blitzkrieg and US “betrayal”

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 06:11:39 MST 2016

Bloody Counterrevolution in Aleppo: on Russian Blitzkrieg and US
“betrayal”

https://mkaradjis.wordpress.com/2016/02/18/bloody-counterrevolution-in-aleppo-on-russian-blitzkrieg-and-us-betrayal/

Today we are watching bloody counterrevolution, imperialist barbarism,
in its most naked form, most visibly in the combined Blitzkrieg against
the people of Aleppo and its northern countryside being carried out by
the invading Russian air force, the fascistic regime of Bashar Assad
with his barrel bombs, the invading Iranian Revolutionary Guards and
their imports including Iraqi Shiite-sectarian death squads, Hezbollah
and various manipulated, impoverished Shia troops from Afghanistan and
Pakistan, with ISIS to some extent, and the US-backed Kurdish YPG on a
huge scale, opportunistically joining in from either side like vultures.

Meanwhile, much the same continues in the south, with people still
starving to death, even as world attention has gone away, in the various
towns surrounding Damascus that are being carpet-bombed  by Assad and
Russia, besieged and starved by Assad and Hezbollah. This scene from
some apocalypse
(https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153676629524823&set=gm.495267943990549&type=3&theatre)
is actually between Moadamiyeh and Daraya; this picture of Hiroshima is
actually what the regime has done to to the once beautiful city of Homs:
https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/10153492613721939/?pnref=story.
Further south, regime and Russian bombing continues day and night
against the mighty, and starkly moderate, Southern Front of the FSA,
which has had its already miserable level of “support” cut off by Jordan
and the US; 150,000 people have been uprooted in the latest offensives.

Returning to Aleppo, the bombing has reached extraordinary levels
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/06/aleppo-under-bombardment-fears-siege-and-starvation?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail:
“The bombs are falling so fast in Aleppo now that often rescuers don’t
have time to reach victims between blasts. If the deadly explosions that
struck on just one day last week had been evenly spaced, they would have
struck every other minute around the clock.
“Sometimes there are so many airstrikes, we are just waiting and waiting
at our headquarters, and the jets don’t leave the skies,” says
Abdulrahman Alhassan, a 29-year-old former bank engineer from the city
who coordinates “white helmet” rescue teams in the city.
“When at last we can’t see any more, we have to rush to all the sites to
rescue people and evacuate them at once,” he said. On Friday, the group
counted 900 airstrikes by government forces and their Russian backers,
apparently throwing every weapon they have at the already devastated
city.”

That is, 900 airstrikes on the city in one day.

As is widely reported, the targets include countless hospitals, schools,
markets, bakeries, mosques and so on. This video shows the results of
the deliberate Russian bombing of the children’s and maternity hospital
in Azaz:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/not-terrorists-or-fighters-just-babies-syrian-charity-video-shows-devastation-after-azaz-hospital-a6875496.html,
on the same day in mid-February that three other hospitals and two
schools were bombed
(http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/16/world/middleeast/syria-hospital-airstrike-doctors-without-borders.html).

It is high time, in my opinion, to call a spade a spade. This has
nothing to do with the fact that there has been no “US intervention,”
still less a call for it. In fact, those constantly warning against “US
intervention” wilfully ignore that the US has been bombing Syria for
some 17 months, just that it bombs Anyone But Assad (see my article on
who the US bombs: .
https://mkaradjis.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/who-has-the-us-bombed-for-in-syria/).

At this point, it doesn't even have that much to do with the many years
of very active US intervention against the revolution, to ensure that no
Syrian rebels, not even the most "moderate", could get their hands on
any anti-aircraft weapons, the major defensive need of the rebels since
mid-2012 when massive airpower became the main form of regime
aggression; with the fact that sympathetic regional states were blocked
from sending them, and that the FSA was even blocked when it tried to
get them from the black market. No, this is all well-established; as one
tweet put it concisely, “the only consistent, thorough, well-implemented
US Syrian policy is tracking hunting and stopping MANPADS from reaching
any opposition group since 2012”
(https://twitter.com/THE_47th/status/659114328012931072); and the
criminality of denying such weapons as the rebels face such apocalyptic
bombing right now is for all to see. But it is even more than that.

So let's call the spade by its name: the US is opposed to, and has
always been opposed to, the Syrian revolution. Period. Things have
worked out this way not because the US was "weak," or "incoherent," or
endlessly (for 5 years) makes "mistakes," or "bungled it," or
unwittingly "handed over victory" to someone opposed to US interests
etc; no, things turned out this way, have been this way for five years,
because it is US policy.

Full:
https://mkaradjis.wordpress.com/2016/02/18/bloody-counterrevolution-in-aleppo-on-russian-blitzkrieg-and-us-betrayal/