[Marxism] Fwd: Assad's UN envoy reveals regime support for PYD | TRT World

Nick Fredman nick.j.fredman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 22:45:56 MST 2016

Your rhetorical flourishes notwithstanding Louis I was quite clear I don't
think alliances with Assad advance the cause of consistent and radical
democratic solutions to the crisis of Syria and the region. I don't at all
think the PKK-led current are incapable of doing the wrong things in
terrible situations in each of the four states in which they're fighting
brutal and complex struggles. But their recent record is in context of the
region is remarkable, and deserves a bit of solidarity and the benefit of
some doubt when their most vicious enemies (e.g. an Assad crony and the
Turkish state media) slander them.

I was particularly objecting to your turning a self-interested and unproven
*claim* - via a lackey media source beholden to the authoritarian Turkish
government with its own obvious interests in spreading this story,  which
is in any case belied by recent clashes between the SAA and YPG/J and SDF -
into a "reveal", in the subject heading. Which you seemed to have backed
down from to your credit. Other claims of an overall alliance and a
Faustian deal for autonomy have abounded if not necessarily made by you,
and are even more unlikely, given the clear public position of the Syrian
regime not to mention its long-term chauvinistic practice.