[Marxism] Fwd: A white buddy for Miles Davis: Don Cheadle’s struggle to get “Miles Ahead” financed is absurd — and not surprising - Salon.com

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Feb 20 07:15:11 MST 2016

(I had a feeling that this film would be a dud since the trailer seemed
to play up Miles Davis as violent, almost like a gangsta rapper but this
is even worse.)

That was six decades ago, during the height of the Cold War. Earlier
this week, Oscar-nominated actor Don Cheadle described his decade-long
struggle to make a biopic about jazz legend Miles Davis. He raised about
$360,000 via crowdfunding, but only cleared the final financing hurdle
when he wrote in a fictional Rolling Stone reporter and cast Ewan
(“young Obi-Wan”) McGregor in the role. Interviewed at the Berlin Film
Fest, where “Miles Ahead” was screening out of competition, Cheadle said
that casting a white actor in a leading role was “one of the realities
of the business that we are in,” adding that “there is a lot of
apocryphal, not proven evidence that black films don’t sell overseas.”

full:
http://www.salon.com/2016/02/19/a_white_buddy_for_miles_davis_don_cheadles_struggle_to_get_miles_ahead_financed_is_absurd_and_not_surprising/