[Marxism] Please sign and share! Bernie Sanders: Demand that Israel free Mohammed al-Qeeq

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 06:00:28 MST 2016

Sign here: http://chn.ge/1T3Cq3d

On July 15, 1981, as mayor of Burlington, Vermont, Bernie Sanders spoke out
for Irish political prisoners on hunger strike against their treatment by
the British government.

"We are deeply disturbed by your government's unwillingness to stop the
abuse, humiliation and degrading treatment of Irish prisoners now on hunger
strikes in Northern Ireland," he wrote to Margaret Thatcher
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/us-election/12163172/Bernie-Sanders-made-plea-to-Thatcher-on-behalf-of-IRA-hunger-strikers.html>,
then prime minister of the United Kingdom.

"We ask you to end your intransigent policy towards the prisoners before
the reputation of the English people for fair play and simple decency is
further damaged in the eyes of the people of Vermont and the United States."

Today, as a United States senator and presidential candidate, he should do
no less for Mohammed al-Qeeq
<http://www.addameer.org/prisoner/mohammad-al-qeiq>, a Palestinian
journalist and political prisoner who, on February 23, entered the 91st day
of a hunger strike protesting his torture
<http://www.addameer.org/key_issues/torture-and-ill-treatment> and
"administrative
detention"
<http://www.addameer.org/israeli_military_judicial_system/administrative_detention>
-
imprisonment without charge or trial - by Israel.

Tragically, Sanders' 1981 appeal fell on deaf ears, and ten Irish hunger
strikers <http://www.hungerstrikes.org/documents/10bios.html> died.

But despite his record-breaking fast
<http://bigstory.ap.org/article/4e66117ff97b48b8b808d8f7cdf3068f/palestinian-enters-uncharted-territory-89-day-fast>,
al-Qeeq is still - barely - alive. And unlike the UK, Israel's treatment of
Palestinians relies on billions of dollars
<https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf> in economic and military
support from the US government, giving Sanders both influence and
responsibility.

--
lytlað."