[Marxism] Fwd: The Deactivation of the American Worker - The Awl

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Feb 24 06:32:57 MST 2016

(There's nothing new about this sort of thing. Back in 1991 a bunch of
Goldman-Sachs IT managers came to work and discovered that they could no
longer log in to PROFS, the mainframe email system that was at the heart
of the Oliver North Iran-Contra scandal.)

Last November, at the offices of Gawker Media, a series of editors were
summoned, one by one, via direct message on Slack, the company’s
inner-office chat and collaboration platform, to a conference room. The
executive managing editor wanted a word, they were told. Workers who
hadn’t been messaged began to notice that the names of the summoned,
ever present on their contact lists, were going dim and then
disappearing from Slack. “I had no idea layoffs were coming—none of us
did,” a former member of the editorial staff told me. “After I returned
to my desk, my Slack account had been disabled. I guess the fear was
that employees who had been let go would spread word to their coworkers.
But it’s Gawker after all, a place where secrets, lies and even
closed-door layoffs eventually come into the light.”

full: http://www.theawl.com/2016/02/the-deactivation-of-the-american-worker