[Marxism] Fwd: The Tribe | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Feb 24 11:17:44 MST 2016

(I just got email from the distribution company that this fascinating
film is available in VOD now.)

In my freshman year at Bard College in 1961, I took a writer’s workshop
with celebrated beat poet Robert Kelly who gave an assignment that all
of us had trouble with, namely to write a short story without any human
beings as characters. It was obviously some sort of technical challenge
that we had trouble wrapping our heads around, even if it perhaps was
designed to get us to think outside the box.

That was my first reaction to “The Tribe”, a Ukrainian film that opens
tomorrow at the Film Forum in NY. I knew that the characters are deaf
teenagers in a boarding school in Kiev but I hadn’t anticipated what was
in store for me as the film started at a press screening. It began with
this announcement:

"This film is in sign-language. There are no subtitles or voice-over."

What could possibly have made the director Myroslav Slaboshpytskiiy
decide to take this approach? To rise to a technical challenge of making
a “silent movie” that defied the audience to not understand a single
word being exchanged by the characters? My initial reaction was to bolt
from my seat and return home but since I had traveled almost an hour
from my Upper East Side apartment to the Film Forum in Soho, I sighed
and decided to stick it out.

https://louisproyect.org/2015/06/16/the-tribe/