[Marxism] Adam Zuckerman responds to Stansfield Smith's attack on indigenous groups in Ecuador

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Feb 24 17:47:55 MST 2016

(A comment posted on my blog article:
https://louisproyect.org/2016/02/21/rafael-correa-and-the-chessintern)

Really good critique of Stan Smith and his trolling. Here is my response
to his hit piece on me:

Stansfield Smith’s personal attack against me is as misleading,
erroneous and poorly researched as his hit piece on my employer, Amazon
Watch, to which we replied here. Mr. Smith, who is the co-administrator
of a Facebook group called “Friends of Ecuador–North America” –which
serves as the home base for Smith’s ramblings–does not seem to have any
interest in objectivity. His most recent attack is a mess of
insinuations and conspiracy theories so convoluted that they would put a
logic professor in a tizzy, so I will address his attacks one-by-one:

Business Insider takes its disinformation story from another March 2013
Guardian article titled, “Ecuador auctions off Amazon to Chinese oil
firms” an article which provides no evidence to support its title. This
Guardian article also mostly relies on Zuckerman of Amazon Watch…Both
articles never state Ecuador did actually sell Amazon rainforests to
Chinese companies; they allege Ecuador “planned” to sell a third, though
this “plan” is not corroborated by any evidence. Now almost three years
later, no rainforest has yet to be sold to China, but the same concocted
story is repeated.

Contrary to Smith’s insinuation, being quoted in an article does not
mean that you either wrote it nor agree with every word in it. And why
does Smith say that the article relies mainly on me? I have one quote in
the article, which also quotes an indigenous leader and a letter from
the seven indigenous nationalities of the south central Ecuadorian
Amazon, all of whom condemned the oil round threatening their territory.
It also quotes Ecuador’s then-Minister of Hydrocarbons who was promoting
the oil auction.

And yes, the Ecuadorian government was in Beijing for a promotional road
show and private meetings with Chinese government officials and oil
company executives to try to auction off 20-year leases for oil drilling
in millions of acres of the Amazon to Chinese oil companies. Before they
deleted the website in the last week for their 11th Round Oil Auction
(you can still see some information here), the Ecuadorian government
publicized that then-Minister of Non Renewable Natural Resources Wilson
Pastor and a “technical team from the Secretariat of Hydrocarbons” met
with six different companies in Beijing, including Sinochem. As
then-Minister of Non Renewable Natural Resources Wilson Pastor told a
reporter from EFE, “The motive of our presence is to promote the 11th
Oil Round, which we started this year in Colombia, the US, and France.
We could not leave off China, which is our principal strategic ally in
economic development.” Ultimately, the only company that signed a deal
from the oil auction was Andes Petroleum, a conglomerate of Chinese
state-owned CNPC and Sinopec. However, Amazon Watch did not single China
out. In fact, the only road shows that we physically protested were not
in Beijing but in Houston, Calgary, and Paris.

This same story slamming Ecuador President Correa and China for forcibly
displacing indigenous people and destroying the rainforest for the sake
of oil profits reappeared in June-July 2015. This just happened to
coincide with a rightwing (sic) protests in Ecuador against Correa, over
his raising taxes on the rich.

There is no mention in either the Business Insider story nor in the
Guardian story of Correa “forcibly displacing indigenous people.”
However, here is an article about indigenous and campesino communities
in southern Ecuador denouncing government efforts to displace them to
clear the way for more mining by Chinese mining company Ecuacorriente.
In the Ecuadorian government’s “investment catalogue,” they are
promoting a massive expansion of mining in indigenous territory in Ecuador.

Furthermore, I never spoke with the reporter at Business Insider, let
alone the bloggers who quoted the Business Insider article years later
without my knowledge. Smith’s insinuation is that I’m somehow colluding
with right wing protesters, which is both baseless and libelous. In
fact, when I lived in Ecuador I attended a rally supporting President
Correa that was a response to the attempted coup by the military and the
police. Amazon Watch was a major supporter of Correa’s Yasuní-ITT
Initiative. Our founder was an official Ambassador for the proposal and
we worked closely with the government of Ecuador on technical components
of the proposal itself, as well as promotion and fundraising.

Smith’s piece proceeds to quote an “outrageous article” allegedly by
Amazon Watch criticizing the response of the Ecuadorian government to
Indigenous and civil society protests. But a simple reading of the
“article” shows that it is a declaration from the indigenous Kichwa
people of Sarayaku and not a statement from Amazon Watch. It begins with
the following sentence: “The People of the Zenith, SARAYAKU, once again
are present in solidarity with the call from distinct social sectors,
the country’s indigenous communities and social movements to defend
human dignity, nature and biodiversity against the devastating threat of
oil exploitation in our lands.” They also sign it as the Kichwa People
of Sarayaku and we note “English translation by Amazon Watch. Below is
the original statement in Spanish.”

Smith then goes on to repeat desperate attacks from his last piece, all
of which we have already already debunked. Smith falsely accuses Amazon
Watch of being “corporate-backed,” despite the facts that his own link
disproves his point. He insinuates that we are in cahoots with the US
government that supports the Trans Pacific Partnership despite the fact
that for years we have opposed it very publicly, including in a 2010
letter to President Obama. Then he calls us “a leader in the struggle to
make Chevron pay for its environmental crimes in Ecuador” before
insinuating that we are working with Chevron on an “anti-Correa campaign
[that] happens to coincide with the successes of Ecuador’s legal case
against Chevron.” WHAT?! So we worked with our longest adversaries, a
group that we’ve campaigned against for the last fourteen years and have
nominated to the Corporate Hall of Shame multiple times, because we were
upset that our campaign was too successful??!!

Defending yourself from Stansfield Smith’s personal attacks is like
arguing with Donald Trump; you can’t win because he has no respect for
facts or reality. I have to return to work–helping to advance the rights
of indigenous peoples and protect the Amazon. I encourage Mr. Smith to
do the same.