[Marxism] Boston Globe prints a letterr responding to Stephen Kinzer's Assadism

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Feb 26 16:11:13 MST 2016

Distorted picture of journalists’ reporting from Syria is what is ‘shameful’
FEBRUARY 27, 2016

FROM THE safety of Brown University, Stephen Kinzer effectively cheers
Russia’s war of extermination in Syria and implies that reports of
regime and Russian atrocities originate from the Pentagon and think
tanks in Washington (“Getting it wrong in Syria,” Ideas, Feb. 21).
Kinzer presents a distorted picture of a brave generation of journalists
who produce work that is exceptional, not “shameful,” as he purports. If
we who cover Syria are “astonishingly brave,” as Kinzer claims, perhaps
he should listen to what we have to say.

Information on Russian and regime atrocities comes from humanitarian
groups such as Human Rights Watch, the International Committee of the
Red Cross, the International Rescue Committee, and the United Nations
Relief and Works Agency. These organizations have reported on Russia’s
use of illegal cluster munitions against civilian targets. Kinzer
suggests that the encirclement and carpet bombing of Aleppo offers a
“glimmer of hope” to its residents. This is appalling given how the
regime-imposed starvation sieges in Madaya and Yarmouk have turned out.

Subscribe Now
I have been to Syria many times. Kinzer will not fool me into believing
that regime atrocities are an illusion concocted as part of
“Washington’s narrative.” Information on Russia’s deliberate bombing of
hospitals comes from Medecins Sans Frontieres, not the Pentagon, as
Kinzer would claim. In fact, MSF has condemned the US military for
targeting its facility in Afghanistan.

Kinzer presents an inaccurate picture of the work that so many
journalists and aid workers have literally died for. Witnessing the
scale of the mass murder in Syria and subsequently thanking the
perpetrators is beneath the otherwise excellent standards of The Boston
Globe. I will publicly debate Kinzer any time he sees fit.

Patrick Hilsman

New York

The writer reported from Syria between 2012 and 2015 as a freelance
journalist, and is currently associate editor of theinfluence.org.